Having Roman origins, at the beginning of the year 1000 Romagnano Sesia (Romanianum) became a feud of the Marquis of Romagnano, who improved the old abbey dedicated to Saint Silano. It was a centre of remarkable importance for its commerce,and a trading centre for the entire Valsesia, and in 1797, after alternate fortunes, became a municipality in its own right. Romagnano’s old town centre has kept the typical medieval urban landscape, and there are numerous monuments telling its history.
A visit should be paid to the Cellar of Saints, with its 15th century frescoes, the only remaining evidence of the abbey, as well as to the medieval bridge, the abbatial church, built in the 1800, the Church of Our Lady of the People with valuable frescoes by Tarquinio Grassi; the Museum Lilloni and the Ethnographic and History Museum, in the impressive Villa Caccia, created by Alessandro Antonelli, full of important remains of the history of Romagnano and the Bassa Valsesia.
Patron Saint Saint Silvano – Patron Saint day: 10th July
Romagnano Sesia Town Hall: piazza della Libertà, 11 – ph. +39 0163 826869
Web site: www.comune.romagnano-sesia.no.it