Fara is a small town, founded in the High Middle Ages.
Pillaged by the French in 1645 and in 1653, it was later owned by the Marquis Serafini of Piacentia in 1715. Its name, of Longobard origins, appeared for the first time in a document dating back to 955.
It has always been a renown site for vine-growing. In 1969, the wine Fara gained the D.O.C. (Denomination of Controlled Origin) accreditation.
There are several monuments of historical and cultural interest, and particularly the romanic Church of Saints Peter and Paul, located on top of the hill, with its 15th century frescoes; the Parish Church dedicated to the Saints Fabiano and Sebastian, built towards the end of the 16th century, and the "castrum vetus" or inferior castrum or “Castellone” built on a high ground overlooking the village; the “castrum novum" or superior castrum, turned into an elegant countryside villa in the 18th and 19th centuries; palace Dessilani, palace Contini Dessilani. It hosts the Cooperative winery of Novara hills, founded in 1954, thanks to the work of 91 local vine-growers.
Patron Saint Damiano, Patron Saint day 1st Sunday in July
Fara Novarese Town Hall: piazza Libertà 20 ph. +39 0321 829261 www.comune.faranovarese.no.it